I'm on double duty again today folks so bear with me on a long post. First up my make For Haunted Design House.
Over at Haunted Design House is our new monthly challenge and our February challenge is
It's A Love/Hate Thing
This means that you can make it about love or hate, OR use something you love, or something you hate. We're always open to interpretation, but PLEASE nothing sweet and insipid or we'll have to burn it. Seriously. No traditionally "nice" Valentine cards, ok? Make it gothic, make it creepy, make it beautifully twisted and dark and you'll receive so much Minion love that you'll need to get checked out for communicable diseases. Remember, we're now monthly and you can enter up to three macabre creations each month.
I decided to create a Tag. All techniques used to create the tag were learnt in online classes from Andy Skinner using DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics and Mediums.
I embossed the main background using a spellbinders 3d embossing folder and applied a rust technique. This was then mounted onto the tag. A heart was die cut in chipboard, painted and when dry crackle glaze applied. Once dry Black Antiquing cream applied and rubbed back to expose all the lovely cracks. This was then applied to the centre of the tag. A skull then placed on top of the heart. I then die cut borders using a spellbinders die and painted with Media Fluid acrylic gold paint. The black antiquing cream was then applied and wiped back to give an aged metal effect and and then applied to top and bottom of the tag. To finish off Love hate banners were created and placed top and bottom.
Next up my Design team contribution for Smudgy Antics and Smeared Ink.
I decided to create an image transfer project.
To start I created a mixed media background using DecoArt Media fluid Acrylics. I then fired up photoshop and created my design using The Other Side of Fear Digi Set which is available at Smeared Ink. Once happy with my design I printed onto Neenah classic white cardstock and coloured with my copics. I then scanned the design and printed out using my laser printer as this was gong to be an image transfer. I then painted over the main image with DecoArt Media tinting fluid ( 3 coats ) as I didn't want the main image to appear transparent on the media background. Once dry a coat of DecoArt Media Matte Medium was applied to the image transfer and left to dry. The mixed media background was also given a coat of the Matte Medium and left to dry also. Once dry the background was given a second coat of Matte Medium and whilst still wet the main image was applied to the background face down smoothed over with my fingers and then brayered to get a good adhesion and to remove any air bubbles that had formed. This was then left to dry overnight. Once dry the image was then soaked with water applied with a sponge and the paper rubbed off in a circular motion to reveal the image that had been transferred to the background. This was then mounted onto a box frame. A final coat of DecoArt Media Matte Varnish was then applied to seal and protect. You can find video instructions on this technique courtesy of Mr Andy Skinner on his You Tube Channel.
Thanks for bearing with me on a long post.