Thursday 15 November 2012

Smeared and Smudged November Member Blog Hop.

This months blog hop theme over at Smeared and Smudged is to alter something. The only rule in participating is it has to be stamped somwhere either Rubber or Digi.I chose to alter a box using as my main image the fabulous Digi Stamp from Smeared Ink :- Anatomy 101-Skull Front.The box was constructed with a hidden surprise inside. So how did I do it? Here's the details...........
I first took a plain wooden box and covered in crinkled and crunched heavy paper stock. Gave tthis a coat of Americana Lamp Black acrylic paint inside and out. Once dry I dry brushed Americana Dazzling Metallics Black Pearl acrylic paint all over the box to highlight all the lovely crinkled detail. Then on to decorating the top of the box.
 
BOX TOP VIEW.
 
I started with a piece of mountboard cut to fit the top. Inked and stamped until I was happy with the background. Printed the Anatomy Skull front stamp 6 times and fussy cut and layered up. Colored with Markers and then dipped into the melt pot to give it strength and dimension. ( Thanks Blackdragon for the inspiration). Attached the skull to the stamped mountboard then attached to the top of the box. Added a Gothic Label to complete.
 
 
BOX FRONT VIEW.
 
Then on to completing the suprise element of the box.
I cut a piece of mountboard to fit, inked and stamped to match the box top. Stamped a clock face cut out and glued to the background. Printed out and fussy cut and layered Anatomy 101 skull again and coloured and dipped in the meltpot. Used my awl ( pokey tool ) to make a hole in the skull and then attached Vintage brass clock hands to the skull. Then glued in place on the clock face. The mountboard clock face was then attached to the inside top of the lid and secured with vintage brass hinges. A Tim Holtz Hitch Fastener was then attached to the bottom Right corner of the mountboard clockface so when opened can rest on the edge of the box keeping it upright and in place.
 
                                                                   BOX OPENED
 
 
 
 
To finish the box off a vintage brass clasp was attached as a closure. A fun project with so many possibilities I hope you will give it a try. I'd love to see if you do. Go check out the other members blogs to see what they have created. THE BLOG ROLL IS ON MY SIDEBAR.
 
Thanks for taking the time to stop by and read. Your next stop is Carla
Hugs Fiona.
 
 
 






 

30 comments:

  1. Like your altered box and all the little elements. And when opened a clock...the skull digi rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Fiona, this is brilliant! LOVE the clock face in the box and I have to break out my melt pot and give it a go! BD was my inspiration for purchasing the darn thing to begin with! Now you've inspired me to actually open the packaging and warm that baby up! I think the multiple layers of fussy cutting have made me stall on this kind of a project. So worth the work involved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he that miss BD is an inspiration to us all me thinks. Go give that melt pot a go girl..........

      Delete
  3. Wow Fiona! This is an AWESOME altered box. Thank you for sharing how you created this masterpiece of fun! I love how the skull looks so 3D and how you made the box look old and time worn. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. It was a pleasure to share the process.

      Delete
  4. WOW! Awesome job! You are soo talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool, I remember my folks having a travel clock that folded out like this,Wish theirs looked like this instead of just a crappy red box x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. The idea came from a clock I have at home. Very dark wood and richly engraved in the gothic style. Alas but no skull on the clockface. But a very beautiful clock all the same.

      Delete
  6. so wicked and cool!way done girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, this is fantastic.
    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow awesome clock love it
    Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG - gobsmackingly awesome... LUV it :-D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. OOhh this is just amazing! I love it! The skull piece is great too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla, I love that skull too. Me thinks it will get an awful lot of use he he

      Delete
  11. Completely brilliant piece, Fiona. It puts me in mind of the little clocks people took travelling before mobiles were mobile! Only this is stunning art and they were not. Thanks for the detailed "how to" it is always interesting to read how people approach things, isn't it?. This is wonderful work. Love, Vee xx
    ps Fiona, I can see you have word verification on you will get more comments if it is off here is how to disable it.
    Here is how to disable Word Verification.
    From your blog home page Go to Design
    Then from that page go down the left hand column and choose Settings
    Then go down the options and you will see Word Verification ?
    You can choose NO which will put it off.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fiona this box rock.
    Really scary and brilliant texture.
    Love this skull.

    Have a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what an gorgeous project Fiona! Love that skull image & how you made them so 3D - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am stunned! this is one freaking fabulous piece of work. this must have taken you so long to do but boy is it worth it. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Fiona, I am really pleased ti say that I have been paired with you for the HHD ATC swap could you send me your address? my email is comps at circlesquares.co.uk
    evil cackles Edna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Fiona the box looks really nice. I found you through Mark Gould's blog. I really like what I see so I am a follower now of your blog.

    Justie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, what a stunning project! So much to absorb.
    Also, just saw the ATCs and stuff you sent Mark, simply stunning! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete